Sunday, October 12, 2008

The bridge


Awhile back I watched The Bridge, it is a documentary that for a full year ran consent tape on the Golden Gate Bridge and captured 23 "jumpers" that committed suicide. The film maker than interviewed 19 different families about their loss without informing them before hand that he has video of their loved ones jump. Surprisingly there was also one survivor who somehow lived through the 220 foot fall and another where a girl was debating the jump and a man reached over and pulled her back. In the film the director said she came back but since they recognized her they called police before she had the chance to try again.

Anyways, I watched it, thought it was interesting and didn't really think too much more about it cause I thought they would never build a safety net because they don't want to take away from the actual bridge. BUT it finally passed 14 to 1 to build a safety net that would extend 20 feet. I'm not sure if it will make a difference since having a friend that chose this path there was no stopping him. He came up with his plan and we only delayed the date. But I hope it makes a difference!

On a side note, it's sad to say with how many times I've driven to and from San Diego and Vancouver I have never made the detour to San Fran and gone and saw the bridge, but that will soon change. Well not soon but in a few months (spring break) I will be driving north (with Levi in tow since he will be living here by then) and my mom and dad and probally Hannah and Nick will be driving south and we will meet there and have a family vacation.

0 comments: